Author Topic: Clipper Race 2019 - 2020 Update 23/09/19  (Read 5902 times)

KeithS

• View Profile
Clipper Race 2019 - 2020 Update 23/09/19
« on: September 23, 2019, 09:26:48 AM »
Dare to Lead is currently placed 4th sailing through the Virgin Islands approaching the Doldrums Corridor where they can chose whether or not to switch on their engine for a maximum of 60 hours. They have constantly been shifting between 2nd - 4th place with only about 50nm between the lead yachts.
Since leaving Portamao, Portugal last Sunday she is due to arrive in Punta Del Este, Uruguay between 12th - 16th October after a journey of 5,200nm.

Steph has apparently had a few issues with the flying fish and has been hit by them on more than one occasion !!

Steph posted the following Crew Report on day 4 which can be viewed on the Clipper Race Website https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/team/dare-to-lead/team-hub

Sunrise and Sunset; and everything in between

Race 2 of Leg 1 is well and truly underway now.

The build up to this race was a blur of activity, as we ensured the boat and crew were prepared for a month at sea. We had escaped with little maintenance work and our main focus was victualling for everyone on board; this was no easy task. The team were lucky to have Graeme on board who now lives in Portugal and could assist us with the language barrier in the supermarkets!

Since leaving Portimãowe have been gybing down the African coastline. Initially, the winds were light, the skies blue and cloudless and the waves gentle. Whilst on watch the time passed idly; listening to music, chatting and of course trimming the Spinnaker. A night with a full moon lit our way, reflecting off the ocean and the stars helped guide our course. It had been nothing short of idyllic.

This morning has given way to increasing winds and waves. I found myself on the foredeck this morning rigging the Spinnaker and main for the gybe, with the help of our AQP Hugues; the wind and waves ever building as we braced ourselves against the sea. Later on, I took to the helm which could only be described as a full body workout, each roller lifting the boat and tossing it off a wave. This made even more difficult, as my small frame means that I can barely see over the helm cage!

The mood on board is pleasant; the boat is stable, the food is good and the crew are happy. This race has, so far, lived up to my expectations. The skies are blue, the winds are fair, the blue of the ocean sparkles in the sunshine - it is absolute bliss.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of watching both the sunrise and the sunset. My sisters love to capture a beautiful sunset, and these ones at sea do not disappoint. The beginning and end of each day are always a time of reflection on board, as thoughts stray to loved ones back home. To all my friends and family, I think of you all each day; guessing what you are doing or thinking or planning. The rest of the crew are all doing the same; our supporters are always in our thoughts.